
Dysfunction and politicisation of a major police force has been cited as a reason for an outgoing top cop's decision to step back from the job just six weeks after being appointed.
Victoria Police Acting Chief Commissioner Rick Nugent revealed he will not apply for a five-year term in the position, with the race now on to find the force's third top cop this year.
He stepped into the job in February days after union members passed a vote of no confidence in the leadership of his predecessor Shane Patton.
Mr Nugent, 60, insisted he was not "too tired" and claimed when he took on the interim role he said he might not apply for the full-time job.
"There is lots of change needed which is normal for any organisation and every time I got to thinking about five years in the role, I just wasn't certain that I could give it that," Mr Nugent told reporters in Melbourne on Wednesday.
Federal Opposition Leader Peter Dutton blamed the state government's dysfunction which he said failed to manage the basics and "politicised everything".
"I suspect the chief commissioner and those before him have really experienced a lot of frustration and they want to do the right thing by Victoria, but they've got interfering government the whole time," he told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

In March, former deputy police commissioner Neil Paterson accused Mr Nugent, Premier Jacinta Allan, Police Minister Anthony Carbines and department secretary Jeremi Moule of "corruption and misconduct" over how and when the government approached Mr Nugent to take on the police chief role.
Ms Allan dismissed the allegations, which were reported to the Independent Broad-based Anti-corruption Commission (IBAC), saying Mr Paterson was politicising the body.
The Herald Sun reported a separate complaint was made to IBAC accusing Mr Nugent of “inappropriate conduct involving a conflict of interest” as a commissioner between 2016 and 2023, when he left to become the Emergency Management Victoria boss.
Mr Nugent rejected the claims and has denied any wrongdoing.
"I'm satisfied that I have not committed any crime or breached any policies," he said.

A spokesperson for the commission said it does not comment on whether it has a complaint or investigation before it.
Ms Allan on Wednesday refused to concede there were issues within the force and rejected claims Mr Patton had been thrown under the bus.
“That’s incorrect,” she said.
The premier said she was not aware of the conflict of interest allegation when Mr Nugent was appointed and he had shown interest in the permanent job.
“He’s been upfront about his reasons for reconsidering and deciding not to apply for the role,” Ms Allan said.
Despite Mr Nugent reportedly telling the government he wanted out within days, Ms Allan said he would remain until a full-time replacement was sworn in.
Applications for chief commissioner close on Friday.
Victorian Opposition Leader Brad Battin has called for an independent appointment process for the next chief commissioner, saying the chaos within the force stemmed from "political interference" by the police minister and premier.
"Why would any person want to apply for the role of chief commissioner here in this state when they know they're going to have continued political inference?" he said.
The latest switch-up follows a tough time for the force, spending 18 months locked in a pay dispute with its members, low morale and officers dropping out in high numbers.