Factual. Independent. Impartial.
Support AAP with a free or paid subscription

Prince Harry, Meghan to move back to Britain: reports

Prince Harry and Meghan are planning to move back to Britain, according to media reports. (Michael Bradley/AAP PHOTOS)

Prince Harry ‌and his wife, Meghan Markle, ‌are reportedly planning to relocate with ‌their children back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped ‌down ‌from ⁠their royal duties and moved to California.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are relocating ⁠with ‌Prince Archie, 7, ​and Princess Lilibet, ​5, to ‌Britain for an ​extended period and the children will begin school ​there ​in ​September, People magazine and ‌British newspaper The Daily Telegraph reported.

The couple will make their home in a non-royal residence outside of London, the newspaper said.

Prince Harry and Meghan
Prince Harry and Meghan visited Australia in April. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

There was no comment from Harry's spokesperson or from Buckingham Palace. However, a source close to the couple confirmed the reports' accuracy.

According to The Telegraph, the couple will not ‌live in a royal ‌residence. Their status ⁠will be unchanged, and they will remain non-working royals as agreed with the late ​Queen Elizabeth when they left in March 2020.

Harry married Meghan Markle in a dazzling ceremony at Windsor Castle in 2018, and it was hoped his union with the former actress, whose mother is Black, would reinvigorate the historic institution.

But it was not long before cracks in their relationship with the rest of the British royal family began to emerge. Two years later in March 2020, ⁠they announced they would step down from official duties and move ‌to the ​US

They moved to the wealthy seaside enclave of Montecito near Santa Barbara, California, with media reports putting the 2020 purchase ​price of their ‌16-bedroom home at $US14.7 million.

Harry and Meghan's home at Montecito
The couple brought a 16-bedroom home at Montecito near Santa Barbara in 2020. (AP PHOTO)

In the following years, Harry, now 41, and Meghan, 45, repeatedly criticised the royal family ​and the monarchy in TV interviews, a Netflix documentary series and most notably in Harry's memoir Spare.

Harry had some particularly barbed comments for his father, King Charles, and his elder brother, heir-to-the-throne Prince William, leading to a total breakdown ​in ​their relationship.

Harry was also angry the British ​government changed his security arrangements and said the lack of automatic ‌police protection meant he was unable to bring his children to Britain.

But relations with the King appeared to be thawing in September, and father and son met briefly for the first time in 20 months.

Last month, Harry, Meghan and their children visited Britain, and Charles saw his grandchildren for the first time since 2022.

Prince William
Prince William and his brother remain estranged. (AP PHOTO)

However, the King, while welcoming the chance to ​see more of the Sussexes, himself only became aware of the couple's plans to return to Britain on Sunday.

While Harry ​and the King's relationship might ⁠have improved, he is still barely on speaking terms with his brother.

Harry's estranged brother, Prince William, and his wife Catherine, Princess of Wales have been informed about the move.

with PA and BANG

License this article

Sign up to read this article for free
Choose between a free or paid subscription to AAP News
Start reading
Already a member? Sign in here
Top stories on AAP right now