Factual. Independent. Impartial.
Support AAP with a free or paid subscription
General
Nick Wilson

Suspected hit team torched car after daylight shooting

Police at the crime scene in July 2025 after a fatal shooting in the suburbs of a major city. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

Investigators have released footage of the frantic getaway made by a team of alleged interstate hit men after the fatal shooting of a young man.

Athan Boursinos, 21, was gunned down in a laneway behind a Champions Parade home in the outer northern Melbourne suburb of Wollert before 9am on July 31, 2025. 

Police believe the killing was carried out by four men, including two contracted killers from a NSW organised crime group and two Victorian men who assisted with transport and accommodation.

Police have released CCTV footage of two men and a vehicle in relation to a fatal shooting. (SUPPLIED/Vic Police)

A motive for the shooting has not been been confirmed but investigators claimed Boursinos had extensive links to organised crime. 

He was treated as a suspect in the high-profile 2025 shooting death of former Mongols bikie Sam "The Punisher" Abdulrahim, Victoria Police revealed in November.

On Thursday, following a year of investigating Boursinos' death, police released CCTV footage of the suspected getaway car used to flee the scene being set alight.

Police hope the footage will encourage members of the public to come forward with information.

In the footage, a man dressed in black can be seen running from the white Nissan Patrol vehicle along Amery Street in Reservoir as it goes up in flames. 

The car, which was found burnt out about 9.15am on the day of the killing, was stolen from a Reservoir address in June 2025, police said.

cops
Police say extensive investigations have unearthed the chain of events following the alleged hit. (Joel Carrett/AAP PHOTOS)

Investigators believe three offenders then travelled to a Dallas home, northwest of Reservoir, using a grey Volkswagen Golf, which had also previously been stolen. 

Detectives have also released CCTV footage of the trio leaving that property and entering a separate vehicle at about 11.50am. 

The Isuzu D-Max is believed to have been driven there by the fourth alleged offender and was then used to drop two of the men off in Reservoir.

It was then used to convey the remaining pair to the Glenroy area, before it was discovered burnt out on Rosehill Boulevard in Mickleham. 

Victoria Police have released CCTV footage in a bid to solve a July 2025 fatal shooting. (SUPPLIED/Vic Police)

Extensive investigations have unearthed the detailed chain of events following the alleged hit but key questions remain unanswered, Detective Inspector Leigh Howse said.

"We are still working to establish the possible motive for Athan's murder, though we have several lines of enquiry underway," he said.

"Athan's various connections to organised crime add a greater level of complexity to the investigation."

License this article

Sign up to read this article for free
Choose between a free or paid subscription to AAP News
Start reading
Already a member? Sign in here
Top stories on AAP right now