Factual. Independent. Impartial.
Support AAP with a free or paid subscription
Courts
William Ton and Allanah Sciberras

Slain grocer's safety fear revealed as teen cleared

Trader Van Viet Truong had raised public safety concerns in the months before his alleged homicide. (HANDOUT/BRIMBANK CITY COUNCIL)

A teenager has had charges withdrawn over the fatal bashing of a beloved grocery store owner, who raised safety concerns months before his death.

Van Viet Truong, 60, died from serious injuries after attempting to save a fellow retailer allegedly under attack by a group of youths at Sunshine in western Melbourne.

A 13-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, walked free from a children's court on Friday after charges of violent disorder, affray and intentionally causing injury were struck out by a magistrate.

Community members called for action after Van Viet Truong died. (Callum Godde/AAP VIDEO)

Four other youths remain before the court.

The attack unfolded on busy Hampshire Road on August 1, which has come under scrutiny over safety concerns for small businesses and community members.

Daniel Kruk was among several Brimbank councillors to give condolence speeches during the first council meeting since the tragedy.

Cr Kruk revealed Mr Truong had raised concerns about public safety before his death.

"This is a tragedy on so many levels," he said in Tuesday's meeting.

"I spoke with him months before where he brought up this exact issue, public safety, and he had concerns for it."

Hong Hung shopfront
Van Viet Truong was killed outside his Hong Hung Asian Grocer in western Melbourne. (Jay Kogler/AAP PHOTOS)

Councillors passed a motion supporting a stronger community safety response, increased advocacy and greater co-ordination in addressing safety concerns in Melbourne's west. 

The 13-year-old let go on Friday had been accused of being part of a group of youths that stole items and ran from a clothing shop near Mr Truong's Hong Hung grocer.

The court was told evidence had come to light indicating the boy might be exonerated.

A worker chased the group to retrieve the clothes when the youths allegedly began to attack them and another witness who tried to step in to help.

Members of the group turned on Mr Truong when he came to the pair's aid, the court was previously told.

The grocer was dragged to the ground, where his head hit the pavement and caused a "cracking sound" before youths allegedly repeatedly struck the victim.

Witnesses, who begged the group to stop before they fled, reported seeing the shopkeeper "changing colours and not moving" and heard "bubbling" sounds coming from his mouth.

Flowers outside Hong Hung
Grief over the good Samaritan grocer's death poured out after the alleged attack. (Jay Kogler/AAP PHOTOS)

The Hong Hung Asian Grocery store owner was rushed to hospital in an induced coma and died four days later when his life support was switched off.

Another boy, 15, is remanded in youth detention on a manslaughter charge, accused of dragging the grocer to the ground.

Two girls, both aged 14, remain on bail after a magistrate accepted that they did not pose an unacceptable risk to community safety.

A 12-year-old boy was also granted bail.

Community members and faith leaders will gather at a temple in Melbourne's west on Saturday to remember all victims of violence, including Mr Truong.

The Braybrook event will bring together communities in prayer, reflection and solidarity, and is designed to be non-political and open to all.

It follows a rally outside Sunshine Library on August 9 where several hundred people gathered to honour the slain good Samaritan and demand tougher laws to combat crime.

Sign up to read this article for free
Choose between a free or paid subscription to AAP News
Start reading
Already a member? Sign in here
Top stories on AAP right now