Factual. Independent. Impartial.
Support AAP with a free or paid subscription
General
Jack Gramenz

Mum charged after children stabbed in home

Three children and their mother are in hospital after a multiple stabbing at a suburban home. (Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS)

A mother has been charged and will face court in a bedside hearing after she allegedly attacked her three children as they slept, stabbing them multiple times in the family home.

The 47-year-old woman is under police guard in hospital on suspicion she was trying to kill the children - aged 10, 13 and 16 - on Monday.

She has been charged with three counts of cause wounding/grievous bodily harm with intent to murder and is due to appear in Parramatta Local Court via a bedside hearing on Tuesday.

The children were expected to survive their injuries but "time will tell" how the psychological scars heal, police said.

NSW Police forensic officers at the crime scene in Baulkham Hills in Sydney. (Dean Lewins)

Their mother allegedly turned the knife on herself following the early morning stabbing.

"Until we have an opportunity to speak to her, we won't know what her intent was," Detective Superintendent Naomi Moore told reporters.

"But we're certainly taking it as a potential attempted murder."

The father and the children - one of whom has paraplegia - were all in their bedrooms of the family home at Baulkham Hills during the attack, police said.

Forensic officers at the crime scene
Police have taken a knife found inside a house and are treating the stabbings as attempted murder. (Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS)

Forensic officers were on the scene following the attack in Sydney's northwest, where a children's basketball hoop sat in the yard behind police tape.

One investigator was seen dusting the front door security screen for fingerprints, underneath a CCTV camera aimed at the doorstep.

Police said a "household" knife had been seized inside the home.

The incident, which woke the father, was "completely unexpected". 

"Upon waking up to what I would believe to be a number of screams or yells, he has ... secured the weapon and he's contacted police," Det Supt Moore said.

"There's certainly no domestic violence history reported to police ... there's no AVOs (restraining orders).

Detective Superintendent Naomi Moore at a press conference after the stabbing. (Jack Gramenz)

"This is the first time police have responded to the house for any type of domestic situation."

The woman's behaviour had been described as "a little bit erratic" in the days before the stabbings, Det Supt Moore said.

A 10-year-old boy was stabbed twice, a 13-year-old girl three times, and their older sister, 16, had one stab wound and a number of lacerations, police said.

Their mother had three stab wounds to the abdomen, believed to be self-inflicted.

Paramedics treated all four before taking them to hospital.

Forensic officers at the crime scene
Police have set up a crime scene as they investigate a multiple stabbing attack. (Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS)

The children were expected to recover from their injuries, Det Supt Moore said.

"They should make a full physical recovery. In terms of a psychological recovery, I guess time will tell what that means for them," she said.

Footage of the scene showed one of the children being stretchered away with a pink teddy on their lap.

Det Supt Moore said it was a tragic incident.

"As sad as it is, we haven't dealt with this family before, and I only wish that maybe we had've, maybe we could have reached out and helped this family sooner," she said.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

Lifeline 13 11 14

beyondblue 1300 22 4636

License this article

Sign up to read this article for free
Choose between a free or paid subscription to AAP News
Start reading
Already a member? Sign in here
Top stories on AAP right now