Factual. Independent. Impartial.
Support AAP with a free or paid subscription
General
Eleanor Wilson

Woman at centre of alleged Swans assault taps lawyers

The Sydney Swans headquarters has had a pall cast over it this week due to serious allegations. (Bianca De Marchi/AAP PHOTOS)

A woman who has had her "entire world turned upside down" by an alleged sexual assault during a gathering of Sydney Swans players has tapped lawyers to look into grounds for a compensation claim.

Consumer law firm Slater and Gordon Lawyers has been engaged to represent one of three women who were allegedly hired as adult entertainers to party with five Sydney Swans players at the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne on Monday morning.

Victoria Police Sex Crimes Squad detectives are investigating an alleged assault in a hotel room. While no charges have been laid, police on Saturday said the investigation "remains active and ongoing".

swans
The Swans will compete in the AFL finals without five players who have been banned by the club. (Susie Dodds/AAP PHOTOS)

Sydney has banned Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon for the rest of the AFL season after saying the players breached club standards at the hotel.

Senior Slater and Gordon lawyer Jackson Pannam has been engaged to probe whether the woman "involved in the alleged sexual assaults" has grounds to file a civil claim.

''Our client has had her entire world turned upside down and is now trying to navigate an incredibly traumatic experience," Mr Pannam said in a statement on Saturday.

''Everyone deserves to be safe going about their life, at home, at work, and in public spaces without risk of being assaulted or harmed.''

The woman was the individual who contacted police immediately after the alleged sexual assault, and is continuing to cooperating with their investigations, the firm said.

swans
Slater and Gordon says everyone should live "without risk of being assaulted or harmed.'' (Luis Enrique Ascui/AAP PHOTOS)

A potential civil claim would be separate to any criminal proceedings.

On Friday, a separate firm signalled they were helping two of the women prepare to launch legal action in the Victorian Supreme Court against the five players and the club, according to a newspaper report.

''We are currently investigating the circumstances and preparing to commence legal proceedings against the club and potentially the individuals involved,'' Manny Carbone, a partner at Carbone Lawyers, told The Age.

Carbone Lawyers partner John Karantzis said the two women he represented were suffering severe stress and anxiety and were in fear for their lives after being subjected to "abhorrent actions".

"There's a lot of interest in this case and they are literally in hiding and they are suffering," he told Melbourne radio station 3AW on Friday.

Mr Karantzis couldn't detail specifics, but claimed the women had been subjected to "the most disgusting actions and behaviour I have ever heard about in my 28 years as a lawyer".

"And what they were subjected to, it is alleged, was demeaning, abhorrent and simply not moral or acceptable ... they do want justice. They want their voice to be heard," Mr Karantzis said.

Mr Karantzis said the club hadn't been fully transparent as to who was involved and what occurred.

swans
There's been different accounts of how many men were in the hotel room during the Swans' gathering. (Jay Kogler/AAP PHOTOS)

He claimed more than five men were in the room but refused to comment when asked if coaches were present.

"More than five men and it's alleged there were even a few leaders in that room," he said.

The Swans later released a statement saying the five banned players were the only club representatives in the room.

The AFL's integrity unit is also investigating.

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service 1800 211 028

License this article

Sign up to read this article for free
Choose between a free or paid subscription to AAP News
Start reading
Already a member? Sign in here
Top stories on AAP right now